Hey, check it out – another one-pan meal! When I made the road trip wraps a few weeks back, I threw the extra tortillas in the freezer with a shrug and a “meh, I’ll so something with them later.”
Some time between then and now it hit me – quesadillas! Yummm.
I also stumbled on this recipe from Martha that seemed pretty simple and had some ingredient overlap with the shrimp salad I’m planning for later this week, so I decided to go for it. The other thing that had me sold was that this isn’t your regular ‘ol white tortilla loaded with cheese & sour cream – it’s a whole grain tortilla full ‘o veggies (and topped with veggies), with just enough cheese to bring it all together. I’m gonna call my health objective met for this one.
There’s a little prep work involved, but ultimately they come together really easy and are super tasty. Way simpler than grilling chicken or cooking the vegetables first. The veggies just cook up in the quesadilla and become part of the melty yummy goodness.
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch-ish slices
- 1 yellow squash or zucchini, cut into ¼ inch-ish slices
- 6 oz shredded (about 1½ c) monterey jack cheese
- a little olive oil
- 2 ears of corn, cooked & the kernels cut off, or about 1½ – 2 c frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced small
- 1 small handful cilantro, chopped
- a few Tbsp red onion, diced small
- ½ a lime
- a little salt
- Sprinkle a little cheese on one half of each tortilla
- Layer the cheese with squash and bell pepper
- Top with the remaining cheese
- Fold the bare end over the end with stuff on it (doing it half-moon style like this will help you when it gets to flipping)
- In a large fry pan (or on foil on the grill), heat a tad of olive oil over medium-high heat
- Cook the quesadillas one at a time, adding a little oil between if needed. Cook them for a few minutes on each side, until the cheese is melty and the tortilla gets golden brown & crispy
- While the quesadillas are cooking, mix the corn, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, juice from the lime and a little salt together in a bowl
- Cut the quesadillas into halves or thirds, serve topped with the corn salsa